The Three Most Haunted Buildings In Savannah Georgia – St Albert Houses For Sale

31 October, 2010

Savannah Georgia is reputed to be the most haunted city in America. It was one of the only major cities to escape being burned to the ground in the Civil War in General Sherman’s March to the Sea. Atlanta did not hasten that fate. Savannah still boasts many antebellum mansions and public houses that have not changed remarkable in more than 200 years. The drama and daily struggle for the colony of Savannah to survive in the eighteenth and nineteenth century provided hundreds of stories of love and loss, death and injure. Perfect ingredients for haunting ghost stories. Here is an introduction to the three most jumpy buildings in Savannah:

Hampton Lillibridge House (507 East St. Julian Street on Washington Square) The Hampton Lillibridge House was built in 1795 and was one of the only houses to survive the Great Fire of 1796. Hampton Lillibridge hailed from Rhode Island which explains the house’s New England gape. The house was moved from its recent set on East Bryan Street to East St. Julian Street in the late 1960’s by the late Jim Williams, antiques dealer and architectural preservationist, made famous in the book “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil”. The novel notion was to fade both the Hampton Lillibridge House and a smaller house of similar design beside it to their new location. The smaller house was moved first but collapsed as workers tried to remove its temporary supports and the house collapsed, killing one of the construction workers. After the Hampton Lillibridge House was moved and restoration began, workers began hearing odd noises that sounded like people partying and running up and down the stairs, except the Hampton Lillibridge House had no stairs at that point in the restoration. The foreman went to see Jim Williams and informed him that the crew was all leaving because of the occurrences. Williams himself went over to the house and heard the noises. Williams, being the practical man he was, became concerned only because it meant a work stoppage on the restoration. In total, 25 to 30 people heard the ghostly noises in the house and work ground almost to a conclude. Williams finally enlisted the Church of England to help him rid the house of ghosts. On December 7, 1963, the Right Reverend Albert Rhett Stuart, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia, performed an exorcism in the house. It was the only exorcism ever documented in Savannah’s history. Soon, however, the noises resumed and the next decade saw many distinguished psychics and mediums visiting the house and pronouncing it timorous. Subsequent owners have not reported any unusual ghostly activity but the Hampton Lillibridge House is currently for sale for $2.9 million. If you go, please note that the Hampton Lillibridge House is a private residence. Do not trespass and please respect the owners.

The Pirates’ House (20 East Broad Street) The Pirates’ House has been in operation since 1753. Back in its infancy, The Pirates’ House served as an inn and public house to tired and sea-weary sailors and pirates. Underground tunnels, now sealed, under the rum cellar that extended from the Pirates’ House to the Savannah River still intrigue guests to this day. The tunnels were supposedly used to shanghai unwary and very drunk sailors onto ships wobble for foreign ports, a very rudimentary recruitment system. Captain Flint, made famous by Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island, is said to have died in an upstairs room with his mate, Billy Bones at his side. To this day, many Pirates’ House staff will not go to the second floor after dark. Many have heard drunken revelry and moaning noises coming from the second floor. Psychic investigators have documented visual “orbs” surrounding people in the rum cellar. Today, the Pirates’ House is a family restaurant serving seafood and southern comfort food. Ghost tours frequently include a trip to the Pirates’ House and specifically down to its rum cellar (not recommended for children under 18). While dining at the Pirates’ House, ask your server about the history and lore of the place and make sure you explore it all.

The Shrimp Factory (313 East River Street) The Shrimp Factory is a popular seafood restaurant along Savannah’s riverfront. The restaurant is located in a series of 1800’s cotton warehouses collectively called Factor’s Walk, along with retail shops, an inn and artists’ studios. In 1817, the cotton warehouses were the center of the Southern cotton trade. Slaves were required to offload cotton from the ships coming down the Savannah River. At night, the slaves were chained in the attics along Factor’s Walk so that they would be handy for the morning. Many slaves died in chains in the attics from heat, hunger, and exhaustion. During most of the 20th century, the warehouses along Factor’s Race were abandoned and decrepit but eventually a massive restoration effort brought the warehouses back to life and created a whole new vibrancy in the downtown. The Shrimp Factory opened in 1977 and has been family owned since then. Many strange occurrences have been documented in the Shrimp Factory by long term employees. The liquor storeroom on the second floor is particularly active. Although the entire upstairs of the Shrimp Factory is not air conditioned and most of it is humid and uncomfortable, the area around and in the liquor storeroom is cool to the point of being chilly with no ventilation. Frequently, late at night when the regular restaurant noises have subsided, employees hear the sounds of people talking in low tones. Lights flickered constantly until a diminutive more than ten years ago when the owner had the entire building rewired. The flickering stopped for a brief time but has resumed unabated since then. Liquor bottles have been known to fall off of sturdy shelves when no one is nearby. Although many staff members won’t go to the second floor by themselves to fetch supplies, most employees feel that the ghost is obliging and will not hurt anyone.